Monday, May 21, 2007

seek what first?

To see the full text of today's MUFHH devotion, click here. But here's today's Scripture and a short quote from the devotion:

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well" (Matthew 6:33).

"Immediately we look at these words of Jesus, we find them the most revolutionary statement human ears ever listened to. 'Seek ye first the kingdom of God'" (Oswald Chambers, MUFHH, May 21st).

I grew up in church. One of the songs we sang--in something called "Junior Church" (if you grew up in the church, did your church have one of these?)--was Seek Ye First. Basically, the song was Matthew 6:33 put to a melody (which is, by the way, a great way to memorize Scripture. A guest speaker at the Campus House recently mentioned that there was a fuzzy line between reading aloud and singing the Bible in the early church.).

I mention this song, and Junior Church, because you can sing something and get into the music and forget about what you're actually singing sometimes. That is, if you're like me, you can forget about the lyrics. I'm glad that this is not true for everyone. I've asked people, informally studying this, and I get mixed responses. Some people are lyrics people and some people are music people and others are both. But myself, being a music person, sang "Seek ye-ee first/the-uh ki-ingdom of God..." at a tenderly young age without bothering to think too much about what I was singing.

But, when Chambers calls this phrase revolutionary, it immediately gets my attention. I can recognize that he's right and I repent for singing this so many years without wrestling with Jesus' words.

Chambers says that, upon hearing Jesus' words to seek first His kingdom, even the most spiritually-minded of us argue: "But I must live; I must make so much money; I must..." fill in the blank.

What am I "seeking first"?

No comments: